An 'I'iwi bill is adapted to drink nectar out of long flowers like lobelias.
Cyanea horrida, a Hawaiian lobelioid, flowering.
Pair of ʻĀkohekohe.
This page is meant to give you further links into the world of Hawaiian birds. It is by no means complete. If you would like to add any resources to this page, please e-mail info AT mauiforestbirds.org.
ARKive.org provides the world's best wildlife films and photographs to profile the world's most endangered species, with the aim of educating, inspiring, and encouraging us all to conserve the planet's biodiversity. Follow the links below to get more information, videos, and photographs of some of Maui's native birds.
The Birds of the Hawaiian Islands Checklist by Robert and Peter Pyle. Bishop Museum Hawaii Biological Survey.
Sounds Hawaiian is a website full of recordings of Hawaiian birds and more.
Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk Project has a variety of resources on Hawaiian ecosystems and job/volunteer listings.
US Fish and Wildlife Service Revised Recovery Plan for Hawaiian Forest Birds. See part II, page 2-77 for the Kiwikiu species account.
State of Hawai'i's Department of Land and Natural Resources Native Forest Birds of Hawai'i.
American Bird Conservancy's Hawai'i Program.
San Diego Zoo Global's Hawai'i Endangerd Bird Conservation Program's Blog.
Video: Hawai'i's Birds by Jim Denny.
Hawai'i Wildlife Center: rehabilitation center for birds of Hawai'i
- Denny, Jim. 2009. A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawai'i. University of Hawaii Press.
- Hawai'i Audubon Society. Hawai'i's Birds.
- Pratt, H. Douglas. 2013. A Pocket Guide to Hawai'i's Birds and their Habitats, 2nd edition. Mutual Publishing.
- Haleakalā and Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park's Hawai'i Forest Birds App (download on your iPhone or Android in PlayStore)
- Pratt, H. Douglas. 2005. Hawaiian Honeycreepers. OUP Oxford.Powell, Alvin. 2008. The Race to Save the World's Rarest Bird: The Discovery and Death of the Po'ouli. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books.
- Pratt, Thane K., Carter T. Atkinson, Paul Christian Banko, James D. Jacobi, Bethany Lee Woodworth, editors. 2009. Conservation Biology of Hawaiian Forest Birds: Implications for Avifauna. Yale University Press.
- Walther, Michael. 2016. Extinct Birds of Hawai'i. Mutual Publishing, LLC.
- Ziegler, Alan. 2002. Hawaiian Natural History, Ecology, and Evolution. University of Hawai'i Press.